- Bachelor & Master Degree in Biology (University of Antwerp, Belgium)
- PhD in Biology (University of Antwerp, Belgium)
- Postdoctoral researcher (University of California Los Angeles, USA)
- Disease ecologist, combining field, lab and statistical/mathematical modelling.
- PhD research on effects of population density on host contact rates and virus transmission, using rodents and arenaviruses in Tanzania.
- Developed conceptual/mathematical method for estimating time since infection using information from antibodies, pathogen, individual age, season, etc.
- Postdoctoral research on:
- Disease spillover between host species, focusing on Leptospira transmission in California sea lions and Channel Island foxes.
- Modelling effects of environment on Leptospira transmission in sea lions, including the development of methods to reconstruct the number of susceptible individuals.